UA-8412995-1 The Southport Globe: Work moving ahead on delayed tennis, teen complex

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Work moving ahead on delayed tennis, teen complex

Work is proceeding on a new tennis complex and teen center on Old Dam Road.
Recreation Director Gerald Lombardo told the Parks and Recreation Commission on Wednesday the contractor for the $2 million project is currently doing remediation of PCBs and asbestos in preparation for the one-story building's demolition.
Toxic PCBs found in window caulking and asbestos at the Beanery has slowed down the project, which had already been delayed for over a year.
"It's moving along," Lombardo said. "They're waiting for the results from the testing."
He said the new complex, which will include a building for the teen center, offices for the tennis courts, and an additional tennis court, should be ready by the end of the summer.
The project's cost is being borne by the Fairfield Indoor Tennis, and is part of the firm's 20-year lease with the town. FIT operates the tennis center during the winter months.
Originally, demolition was expected in October 2011, with the new complex opening in late May of 2012. READ MORE: http://www.fairfieldcitizenonline.com/news/article/Work-moving-ahead-on-delayed-tennis-teen-complex-4297093.php

No comments: