UA-8412995-1 The Southport Globe: Sasco Beach aerial July 1948

Friday, October 28, 2016

Sasco Beach aerial July 1948

(click on image to enlarge)
Beach area Riegel & Sasco Hill Beach Southport, Connecticut
Description: Photographer: Henry Carlson for Fairfield News; VLH collection. Aerial view (published July 22, 1948) shows Sasco Beach before present road, refreshment stand etc had been put in place. Sasco Hill beach site is believed to be landing place of one contingent of British troops which torched Southport and Fairfield. Riegel shore property in foreground shows beach house and beyond it the bathing pavilion. Boat house had been destroyed in earlier hurricane although remains of marine railway still visible.
Creator : V. Louise Higgins
Publisher: Pequot Library Association
Date: July 1948
Format: Photograph
REFERENCE URL: http://pequotlibrary.cdmhost.com/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/p1038coll5&CISOPTR=743&CISOBOX=1&REC=16

1 comment:

benjamindavidsteele said...

I recently visited there with my father. We couldn't get on the estate itself, but we walked along the waterfront. We were able to see some of the estate.

My great grandfather worked and lived there for about 40 years, until shortly before he died in 1958. His family lived with him on the estate, which is where my grandfather grew up. My father fondly remembers visiting there as a kid in the late 1940s and into the 1950s. I showed him this photograph and it looks like what he remembered. The sand has now all washed away and the pier was destroyed long ago.

I noticed you mention the old boathouse and rails. According to my father, there used to be a cable system, probably motorized at one time, that pulled the boats off of the beach and up along the rails. The cable system was no longer in use even when my grandfather was a kid 1920s), although the cable was still there. My grandfather tells a story in his memoir about taking the cable that was hooked up down by the beach and bringing it to the third story of the barn where he somehow secured it. With a friend of his, they built a contraption to ride in down the cable. It worked but they barely missed the large wall that was partway down toward the beach.

By the way, I saw elsewhere that the beach house was built in 1922, as I recall. My great grandfather would have been hired on sometime in the previous decade. He was already living there by 1920 and had been there for a while at that point. That was shortly after Mr. Riegel bought the place. My great grandfather, as the estate superintendent and head gardener, helped build and maintain much of what was on the estate grounds.