UA-8412995-1 The Southport Globe: Moses Aaron Sherwood House in 1868

Friday, July 3, 2015

Moses Aaron Sherwood House in 1868


(click on image to enlarge)
Moses Aaron Sherwood House, site 658 Pequot Avenue
Southport, Connecticut
Description: House built c1825 by Aaron Moses Sherwood (1804-1848), son of Aaron & Mary (Couch) Sherwood. Sherwood, listed in Class 1824 Yale booklet as merchant & farmer. Married Catherine Cone of Saybrook CT, 6 children. Widow Catherine married 1851 to James Spencer, owner saddle tree factory Sasco Mill, Post Rd. 1856 left Southport, but property identified on c1858 Eneas Smith map as J Spencer until sold 1859 to Benj Pomeroy. Pomeroys lived here until late 1860's when house sold to Simon Banks and moved to 98 Banks Place. Present 658 Peq Ave completed on site in 1869. Unsigned information dated Oct 1946 on reverse of photo gives photo date as "Spring 1868" and information with proviso that all "should be checked." Identified people, left to right: Mrs H[enry] T Bulkley [Rebekah Wheeler 1835-1908, sister Benj Pomeroy]; Michael Crowley [coachman]; Horse Mary Harrison[?]; [in buggy] Mrs Rodman (Anna Pomeroy) 1840-1919 [aka Jerusha, sister of Benj Pomeroy per will]; child "don't know"; [seated in front of house on the right side] Mrs Andrew Bulkley 1752-1868; [Sally Dimon, mother of Mrs Benj Pomeroy]; Mrs Benj. Pomeroy 1819-1899 [Mary Josephine Bulkley, dau Andrew and Sally Bulkley]; Benj Pomeroy (son) 1852-1875 [standing]; Josephine B Pomeroy 1854-1868; Mary Frances Pomeroy 1859-1922 [dau of Benj & Mary Josephine Pomeroy, m Dr Brooks Hughes Wells 1885, Wells family inherited property]. Material in brackets by VLH. Gazebo to left was moved to rear of 658 Peq Ave house. Carriage house visible at left behind gazebo is on land in the rear of 658 Peq Ave, redone 20th century as private residence. Partial view of carriage house at extreme left belonged to the F D Perry house, 678 Pequot Ave, now Trinity Rectory. For views of Moses Sherwood house on 98 Banks Place site see Ralph Schwarz' _Southport, Architectural Legacy of a CT Village_.


Creator: V. Louise Higgins
Publisher: Pequot Library Association
Date: Spring 1868
Format: Photograph

No comments: