UA-8412995-1 The Southport Globe: BC&MMR Club On Harbor Road In 1887

Sunday, March 30, 2014

BC&MMR Club On Harbor Road In 1887

(click on image to enlarge)
View of BC&MMR Club, taken from dock below in 1887
Southport, Connecticut
Photographer: Roderick P. Curtis. Written on reverse of picture is "View of Billiard Room from Meeker's Dock." This building was originally a store, at one point a dry goods store operated by Allen Nichols and Augustus Jennings. Around 1858 it was a meat market. By the 1880's it was used as a billiard room etc, becoming in the 1890's the famous social club, "Bachelor's Comfort and Married Men's Relief." This picture shows it before it was redone in the 1890's. In 1893 a 14' addition was put on on the waterside (13 July 1893 Chronicle). Further changes were made in 1897. In the 1920's it became the first Pequot Yacht Club.
Creator: V. Louise Higgins
Publisher: Pequot Library Association
Date: 24 Sept 1887
Format: Photograph

No comments: