UA-8412995-1 The Southport Globe: Molly Pike Tavern Main Street Southport 1888

Saturday, December 9, 2017

Molly Pike Tavern Main Street Southport 1888

(click on image to enlarge)
Molly Pike Tavern
Main Street, Southport, Connecticut
Photographer: Roderick P Curtis? Eugene Hall? The Pike Tavern is on the extreme left. Molly Pike opened her home as a tavern after the death of her husband in 1806. The tavern was the scene of balls, banquets and other social affairs in Mill River in the early 19th century. The building was purchased by Edward T. Hall Sr. from the Pike family in the 1860's. The first floor was used for shops; the second floor contained rooms for rent and offices. This building and the one next to it were burned to the ground in 1894. The building to the right of the Pike Tavern (now the site of 244 Main) was a store building also owned by Pikes. Above it (north) is visible the Southport Savings Bank. Beyond the bank is the Rosilla Bulkley house, built 1852. This building was more or less in the front yard of the school grounds. Miss Bulkley ran a millinery shop in the building. When she died in 1884, the house was sold and later became a market.
Creator: V Louise Higgins
Publisher: Pequot Library Association
Date: 1888
Format: Photograph

No comments: