UA-8412995-1 The Southport Globe: Southport Fire Department In 1899

Sunday, October 8, 2017

Southport Fire Department In 1899

Fire House, Station Street
Southport, Connecticut
Photographer: Clinton Hall. Two notes were found with the glass plate negative: #1: "The original Southport Fire House. Situated on Railroad Place [Station St] in a building belonging to F. E. Northrop." #2: "This plate is given to the Pequot Library with the understanding that the Fire Dept has access to it and may take prints from it." The Southport Fire Department was formed in 1895 and started to use this building in 1896. In the fall of 1896 the NY NH & H Railroad donated a locomotive tire iron for use as a fire alarm. This is visible on the rooftop; the iron was struck with a heavy hammer. According to Southport Chronicle of 20 July 1899, "Clinton Hall took pictures of the Southport Fire Department truck house Monday morning." From Fairfield Record 24 March 1898 in re the signs on the engine house of the Southport Fire Dept: "The letters were sawed out of pine by Thomas Kelley & stand out an inch from the board to which they are nailed. Gold leaf was put on the letters by Rufus P. Sherwood. Two smaller signs, 'Steamer' and 'Hook & Ladder' have been placed over the doors. These also were sawed out and gold leafed." The building to the right is the Northrop Bros. headquarters, builders.
Publisher: Pequot Library Association
Date: July 1899
Format: Photograph

No comments: