UA-8412995-1 The Southport Globe: Southport's E.S. Hand Estate (Breakwater Estate) Over The Years

Friday, March 25, 2011

Southport's E.S. Hand Estate (Breakwater Estate) Over The Years


(click on images to enlarge)
Breakwater Estate Southport 1890's
B/w post card. Printed on front: "Breakwater, Southport, Conn." Handwritten on card: "G.O. May property & old Hand property (now Mr. F. R. Ford's)." This estate was located on some 10 acres on Osborne Point (entrance foot of Willow St, extending west along the shore). The 30-room house was built for Elwood Stokes Hand, a Chicago publisher, in the early 1890's. The Fairfield Historical Society has a collection of photographs (interior & exterior) of Breakwater House. Note boathouse at shoreline. Sasco Hill and McKenzie's Point in the distance. REFERENCE URL: http://pequotlibrary.cdmhost.com/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/p1038coll5&CISOPTR=326&DMSCALE=50&DMWIDTH=500&DMHEIGHT=500&DMX=0&DMY=0&DMMODE=viewer&DMTEXT=%20hand&REC=13&DMTHUMB=0&DMROTATE=0
CREDIT: http://www.pequotlibrary.org/


This photograph was taken at the water's edge looking across the lawn, circa 1905.


Southport Beach Area, Pequot Ave Early 1900's
Southport, Connecticut
Description Written on back: "Pequot Road near Southport beach. The Guilbert house under construction." View is looking west on Pequot Ave. To far left is house and windmill of "Breakwater" E.S. Hand estate at foot of Willow Street. In center is Guilbert house under construction; he was rector of Trinity Church, Sthport. Next house to right is now 1227 Peq Ave. House to right of it is CC Chambers' house, built 1891. See photos #176 and #177. See photos #425-427.
REFERENCE URL: http://pequotlibrary.cdmhost.com/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/p1038coll5&CISOPTR=176&CISOBOX=1&REC=6
CREDIT: http://www.pequotlibrary.org/


This 1910's postcard shows the Breakwater Estate from the water, note boathouse to the left.


Western end of Harbor Rd; Sherwood's Point (Ye Yacht Yard) Circa 1925
Southport, Connecticut
Description B/w postcard, Hess Commercial Photographer, 575 Hamburg Ave, Brooklyn NY. The photo was taken from approximately where the town boatyard now is. In the background are, right to left--1074, 1088 and 1100 Harbor Rd. (Not visible is the next house west, 1110 Harbor Rd.) The house of many roofs visible extreme left was the E.S. Hand estate, "Breakwater" which was approximately on the site of 350 Willow St. See _Packet_ of April 1987, Vol I, #2, for article on the western end of Harbor Rd. See photo #495. (NOTICE THE BOAT LAUNCH TRUCK IN THE WATER ON RAILS)
REFERENCE URL: http://pequotlibrary.cdmhost.com/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/p1038coll5&CISOPTR=286&CISOBOX=1&REC=7
CREDIT: http://www.pequotlibrary.org/


Lawson Estate Late 1920's
(The old E.S. Hand Estate)
REFERENCE URL: http://pequotlibrary.cdmhost.com/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/p1038coll5&CISOPTR=766&CISOBOX=1&REC=1
CREDIT: http://www.pequotlibrary.org/


This postcard shows the Breakwater Estate without the windmill, and the building has been modified. (circa 1920's postcard).

No comments: