UA-8412995-1 The Southport Globe

Monday, March 30, 2020

"Onion Fields, Sasco Hill" about 1890

Onion Fields, Sasco Hill and Southport, Connecticut
Photographer: Edward, Clinton, or Eugene Hall. Note found with glass plate negative: "The onion fields on the side of Sasco Hill taken from the present Sasco Hill Road. Showing Southport in the distance. Taken about 1890". On the glass plate is written: "Dec 11." In the harbor a two-masted schooner is visible.

1900's Southport Harbor

Undated postcard, circa 1900's.
Published by Luin B. Switzeer
Southport, Connecticut

Dredging at Ye Yacht Yard early 1930's


(right click to open in new window to enlarge)
Dredging at Ye Yacht Yard circa 1930's.
Date and photographer unknown.
Photograph courtesy of Howard Burr Collection/Joe Rainis.

Howard Burr at Ye Yacht Yard

(click on enlarge)
Howard Burr at Ye Yacht Yard.
Photographer and date unknown.
On the reverse "Tom Wehde".
Photo property and courtesy of Howard Burr Collection/Joe Rainis.

Main Street Southport circa 1905

(click on image to enlarge)
Unused postcard, Main Street Southport, Connecticut circa 1905.
From Arthur Jennings Collection.

Sunday, March 29, 2020

1920's Southport Harbor

(click on image to enlarge)
Vintage Southport Harbor postcard, 1920's, view from the old Meeker Docks area.

Southport Breakwater in the summer of 1941

(click on image to enlarge)
Southport Breakwater in the summer of 1941.
Notice the rows of moored boats where the sandbar is currently.
Photo: Codge Bullard Archive

Saturday, March 28, 2020

Fairfield SOCIAL DISTANCING Food Drive Sunday March 29th


This food drive helps Operation Hope 
continue to serve our community in need. 

NO NEED TO GET OUT OF YOUR CAR!

Southport Harbormasters

(click on image to enlarge)
"This is a photo of Barbara Burr's Chesapeake Bay Retriever, "Flair", standing guard at YYY with her friend Ferdie Jennings, back in the 1950's. Flair was a fixture at YYY for many years and was first mate on Barbara Burr's lobster runs. Barbara's traps were usually set off Greens Farms where the bottom was rocky. Those runs were fun."
-Arthur Jennings
Special thanks to Arthur Jennings for sharing this bit of Southport history.

Barbara Burr works on a hull

(click on image to enlarge)
Barbara Burr at Ye Yacht Yard.
Photographer and date unknown.
Photo property of Howard Burr Collection, courtesy of Joe Rainis.

Pine Creek waterfront in 1900


(click on images to enlarge)
176 Pine Creek Avenue in 1900.

2012 FLASHBACK: Classic Motor Yacht FREEDOM makes rare Pine Creek appearance









(click on images to enlarge)
The magnificent classic motor yacht FREEDOM glides effortlessly and quietly, past Sunken Island and Bell 22 off Pine Creek Point on Thursday morning as it headed south.

http://www.woodenyachts.com/yachts/freedom.aspx

Freedom is a 104 foot fantail motor yacht designed by John Trumpy and built in 1926 by the Mathis Yacht Building Co. in Camden, N.J.

Thanks to an anonymous poster for the correction.

Southport - Sasco Beach - Pine Creek August 2017 Aerial


Southport Harbor circa 1880 docks

(click on image to enlarge)
Southport Harbor circa 1880: Docks on Harbor Road at foot of Main Street.
From slideshow "Southport Then and Now"

Friday, March 27, 2020

The Fairfield Brownstone Wreck off Southport


We got a request to check out a site in Southport! 
So we did and this is what we found.

Launching a vessel at YYY in the 1930's

(click on image to enlarge)
Launching a vessel at YYY in the 1930's
On the rails at Ye Yacht Yard.
Note barge and activity on sand bar in the distance.
Photo property and courtesy of Howard Burr Collection/Joe Rainis

View from the old Meeker Docks area

(double click on image to supersize)
Southport Harbor view from the old Meeker Docks area
circa 1920's
Early view (circa 1920's) of Southport Harbor from about the old Meeker Docks area (note fleet moored), off Harbor Road. Sasco Hill and the old onion fields to the right.
Very special thanks to Arthur Jennings for this rare view looking up Southport Harbor.

Early 1930's Ye Yacht Yard aerial photo

(double click on image to supersize)
Early 1930's Ye Yacht Yard aerial photo
Photographer and date unknown. Aerial photo over Ye Yacht Yard, 1930's?
Photo property and courtesy of Howard Burr Collection.
With special thanks to Joe Rainis.

Elwood Brothers Market 1880's In Southport

(click on image to enlarge)
Elwood Bros. Store Main Street Southport, CT circa 1880's
The Elwood Brothers market was in what appears to be a one-story wing on the Molly Pike Tavern building. (It is hard to tell from this picture if the market was separate from the tavern structure or part of it. No definitive picture of the Pike Tavern exists that we know of). The market was at the corner of Main and Center Street. The building burned down in 1894. About 1879 George E. and William F. Elwood opened a grocery here. George took over alone in 1888 and put up his own sign by 1889 (according to an old picture shown in the Ffld News 27 July 1929, so this picture was taken between 1879 and 1889. The picture was taken from the other side of Main St, probably from the top story of one of the buildings, Jennings Market at 252 Main, the Nichols store north of Jennings, or the old bank building at 227 Main. This picture was found in the John Daley scrapbook.

Howard Burr at Ye Yacht Yard

(click on image to enlarge)
Howard Burr at YYY circa 1930's.
Photographer and date uncertain.
Photograph property and courtesy of Howard Burr Collection/Joe Rainis

Captain William Bulkley House

(click on image to enlarge)
Captain William Bulkley House
Southport, Connecticut
Description: B/w post card. Printed on front: "Southport 1906. House of C. Malvina Bulkley." Charlotte Malvina Bulkley was the daughter of Captain William Bulkley. Visible on the tree in the foreground are street signs put up by the Sasquanaug Association. "Maple" was an earlier name for Old South Road.
Creator: V. Louise Higgins
Publisher: Pequot Library Association
Date: 1906
Format: Photograph

Southport Harbor in 1932

(click on image to enlarge)
Southport Harbor in 1932.
Black and white photograph, photographer unknown.



Pequot Library in 1907

(click on image to enlarge)
Rare old Pequot Library postcard in 1907.
Note flagpole and gas lantern.

Chris Frantz The Talking Head Radio Show Feb.28th episode on demand

Chris Frantz The Talking Head Radio Show
Originally aired on February 28, 2020 2 hours 55 minutes

LISTEN HERE

Pine Creek Beach Windmill in 1920

(click on image to enlarge)
Pine Creek Beach Windmill in 1920
This is a very rare photo taken from Pine Creek Avenue in 1920, across a meadow-sized waterfront yard at McKenzie's Point/Pine Creek Beach around the end of South Pine Creek Road, looking across the creek towards the windmill that once stood about where the lifeguard stand sits today.
Photo taken almost 20 years before the Hurricane of 1938. Photo credit/property of: V. McGuire.

Main Street and Harbor Road 1896

(click on image to enlarge)

Hall Block & Jennings Building, Main Street & Harbor Road
Southport, Connecticut

Photographer: Edward, Clinton or Eugene Hall. Note found with glass plate negative: "The 'Center' showing the new brick tenement, the Town post [sign post], Woodward's tin shop, Wood's, Post office & meat market." At the top of the plate is printd "View Hall block and... [unreadable] Nov 20, 96 c 10 AM. Clo Cl ix No 3." ["Clo Cl" etc a record of exposure time, plate number?] On left is the Hall block built after 1894 fire. The two top floors were the "tenement" portion; first floor was given over to stores. Across Main St, on the right is #251 Main, owned by Nehemiah Jennings. The top stories are the old Miah Perry house; the first floor was added (put underneath the house) in the 1870's. On the right was the post office and to the rear of it, Miah Jennings meat market. On the left was John Wood's dry goods store. To the left of this building was the Nichols store building, then occupied by M V Woodward, a plumber.
Publisher: Pequot Library Association
Date: 1896?
Format: Photograph

L.F. Sherwood/J.A. Wakeman Store on Harbor Road in 1870's

(click on image to enlarge)
L.F. Sherwood/J.A. Wakeman Store, Harbor Road
Southport, Connecticut
Description: Levi Franklin Sherwood ran a grocery store on Harbor Road in a building just west of the original drugstore building; the site is now that of Perry Green. In the 1870's Sherwood was in business with Joseph A. Wakeman, whose sign "J.A. Wakeman" is visible. According to information from Royal Everts of Southport, grandson of L.F. Sherwood, the tall man in the doorway, center, is L.F. Sherwood. The other men have not been identified.
Creator: V. Louise Higgins
Publisher: Pequot Library Association
Date: 1870's?
Format: Photograph

FLASHBACK: March 27, 2012 Heading in on Tuesday evening






(click on images to enlarge)
Area high school 420 sailors practice on Tuesday afternoon off Sasco Beach.

Southport Harbor in the 1930's

(click on image to enlarge)
The yacht CONTEST,  the magnificent yawl owned by the late Arthur O. Jennings of Southport

Southport, Connecticut in the 1930's seen here near the Lower Wharf on Harbor Road near the entrance to Southport Harbor. Sasco Beach and McKenzie's Point in the distance.
From Arthur Jennings Collection

Thursday, March 26, 2020

FLASHBACK: 2008 Opti Rumble July 12th





(click on images to enlarge)
The 2008 Opti Rumble, at Southport CT July 12th.
Over 100 boats were registered for this incredible regatta.

Racing sandbaggers in Southport Harbor 1880's

Southport Harbor Yachts
Southport, Connecticut
Description: Stereopticon View #33, Pomeroy & Wilson, 275 Main, Bdgpt. Printed on back is a list of stereopticon views; underlined is #33, "Yachts." This photo may have been taken down by Lower Wharf. The picture appears in the booklet _Pequot Yacht Club 1921-1980_, with the caption "Sandbaggers leaving the harbor." "By the turn of the century, match racing between sailors from Southport & nearby towns brought spectators down to the end of the harbor road to watch the competitors in sandbaggers and catboats." From _Watercraft_, Mystic Seaport Museum: "Racing sandbaggers was a popular sport before 1885.... one could crowd on as much sail as... his craft could carry. With so great a spread of canvas, just to keep from capsizing was a challenge.... The idea was for the large crew to position themnselves along with several 50-lb sandbags far enough windward to balance the press of wind on the sails.... Most of the racing & building took place near New York City where the sport originated."
Creator: V Louise Higgins
Publisher: Pequot Library Association
Format: Photograph

Signpost Main Street and Harbor Road in 1902

(click on image to enlarge)
Signpost
Southport, Connecticut
Written on reverse: "board now located next to bank." This signpost stood at the foot of Main St where the DAR fountain is now. It was installed in 1886 to replace the town pump. The signpost was replaced in 1903 by the DAR memorial fountain. (The signpost is now standing to the right of the bank building, #226 Main St.) The building to the right is the Neh. Jennings market with the post office in the front of the store.
Creator: V. Louise Higgins
Publisher: Pequot Library Association
Date: c 1902
Format: Photograph

Southport Street Parade & Blessing of The Fleet 2012



Southport Street Parade & Blessing of The Fleet 2012 in Southport, Connecticut

Southport Harbor looking at Harbor Road circa 1890's

(click on image to enlarge)
Harbor looking at Harbor Rd West - Southport, Connecticut
Description: Photographer: Roderick P Curtis? Written on reverse: "Carstensen." (Old photos in Carstensen colleciton are usually those taken by Roderick P Curtis.) See comments photos #58 & #391. Buildings from right to left: BCMMR clubhouse; 3 Meeker onion warehouses; bldg with tower, home of Miss Theodora Bulkley; on waterfront, Andrew Bulkley/Benj Pomeroy house approx site #883 Harbor Rd; on north side Harbor Rd, Jonathan Bulkley hosue, #892 Harbor Rd.
Creator: V. Louise Higgins
Publisher: Pequot Library Association
Date: 1890's?
Format: photograph
REFERENCE URL: http://pequotlibrary.cdmhost.com/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/p1038coll5&CISOPTR=339&CISOBOX=1&REC=2

Port Jefferson NY - Old Pier dive - Squalus Marine Divers


Flashback: Penfield Lighthouse Fairfield, CT - Dock and gangway installation


Sailing In Southport Harbor in 1890's

(click on image to enlarge)
Sailboat, Southport Harbor
Southport, Connecticut
Photographer: Clinton B Hall. Note found with glass plate negative: "Sailboat in the Harbor." The plate has C. B. Hall printed on the bottom edge.
Publisher: Pequot Library Association
Date :1890's?
Format: Photograph
REFERENCE URL: